Everything in your instructions was EXCELLENT. The program list you had me
move to local was great. I'm going to add some resource intensive graphics
programs like Gimp and Blender to local also.

BUT lol, the original problem with Scratch is still with me but we are
getting different symptoms and I think I know the cause but can't figure
out the solution.

1) Scratch is displaying a blank white screen
2) Firefox has been shifted to local operation but Chromium (which is also
on our network) was not
3) After configuring local_apps Firefox lost the ability to play Flash
videos
4) After configuring local_apps Chromium (not a local app) continued to
play Flash videos
4) Scratch requires Flash

So, I was trying to figure out how to fix Flash Player on the local app. In
the install of local apps you gave me it include  ubuntu-restricted-extras
which should handle flash issues.

I also changed the desktop to LXDE.

Here is my new lts.conff

# lts.conf, provided by Edubuntu installer
# see http://edubuntu.org/documentation for more information

[default]
  LDM_THEME=edubuntu
  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
  LDM_LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
#added on tuesday august 27, 2013
#RM_SYSTEM_SERVICES="dnsmasq mysql nbd-server epoptes"
 #USE_LOCAL_SWAP
LOCAL_APPS="true"
#SHUTDOWN_TIME="19:00:00"
LOCALDEV="true"
LDM_DIRECTX="true"
#LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=ubuntu-2d"
#LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=classic-gnome"
LDM_XSESSION=/usr/bin/startlxde

When I commented out LDM_DIRECTX="true" I got Flash back for Firefox.

BUT Scratch still only shows a white screen.

It still works on the server but it is still acting the way it used to
(i.e. won't save locally).

Might this be related --- When I start Scratch, the Icon in the launcher
reads Squeak. I remember Scratch uses Squeak and was installed at the same
time by the Ubuntu Software center. I can't do it now because school is in
session and students are logged in but am thinking I need to install Squeak
to the chroot too.