Hi,

You will need to install a different window manager, for example MATE,
or LXDE, and then use it when logging in via LightDM, you can then set
this as the default. MATE and LXDE do not use Compiz as their backend,
so will not have the issues you are facing.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/08/install-mate-desktop-ubuntu-14-04-lts

The above link explains how to install MATE onto a vanilla install of 14.04.

Good luck!
On 17/11/14 01:30, James Linder wrote:
>> On 17 Nov 2014, at 7:09 am, ltsp-discuss-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
>>
>> I have tried setting up an LTSP server as a VM and I have the same
>> problems. So perhaps it is my thin-client.
>>
>> A couple things regarding Harry's suggestions as well....
>>
>> How does one get rid of compiz or disable it? If I apt-get remove compiz
>> it will also remove ubuntu-desktop. I think I need ubuntu-desktop, so
>> not sure how to get rid of compiz. I did have to install gconf-editor
>> and disable  apps->metacity->general compositing_manager and
>> compositor_effects so that the gnome terminal wouldn't always be on top.
>>
>> Are there other post-installation steps that should be done after
>> setting up an out-of-the-box LTSP server that is not really documented?
>>
>> I'm using Intel GMA 3150 onboard intel graphics -- doesn't Ubuntu
>> already contain all Intel drivers? According to their site: "Most
>> versions of the Linux* operating system include Intel? graphics drivers.
>>   Intel recommends checking with your Linux distribution vendor or
>> computer manufacturer for precompiled driver packages."
> It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.
> I use xfce or lxde and never have the problem, but as an old fart I think
> bendy-streachy-flashy desktops are APITA.
>
> James

Regards

Harry Lavender
Systems Administrator