On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Hisham <h...@hisham.hm> wrote:

> We do have 'homepage' and 'maintainer' for these roles. 'author'
> implies a single-person effort; 'homepage' is more inclusive and the
> URL may then point to proper credits for the upstream code.

Fair enough, but it's nice to have credits at the top level as well - at
least the option.

But if a third package depends on Lake, can it assume that it has the
> super powers?

Well, no.  I appreciate the interface problem - tools like aptitude have a
habit of asking people questions about whether they want optional or
'suggested' dependencies.  Generally not a good idea for command-line
programs, certainly not a good default.

mark them with generic names. An external tool such as LuaDist (or
> other) could keep its own table matching those names to its own
> non-Lua packages (or to distro packages). Might be a nicer approach.

Yes, LR is already stretched over the portability space and any subsystem
detection it does is likely to be patchy.

Using something like Lake as a dependency means that arbitrary Lua code can
be used to detect subsystems and suggest alternatives.

> part; the hard part is to make apps/modules find their data files even
> though LR installs all packages as relocatable -- ie, apps/modules
> can't count on hardcoded paths. So that second part inevitably
> requires cooperation from the app/module itself.

Hence the most interesting daydream -  a module that can give reasonable
answers to the question 'where can I keep my stuff?'.  Delegating to such a
module means that it can use LR if this was an LR-installed package.

steve d.