-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: reinstalling ubuntu 12.10
Date:   Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:45:17 +0100
From:   Barry Titterton <titterton.ba...@gmail.com>
To:     Phill Whiteside <phi...@vpolink.com>

On 08/04/13 20:21, Phill Whiteside wrote:
Hi loannis,

back in the crazy days it was advised to have a seperate /home.
Whether this is still valid these days? Pass... would I ever forgo my
seperate /home partition? Never :)
You can do some crazy things, and bad things can happen to good
machines. I have always preferred my "home (i.e personal data) for my
desktop system on its' own partition. Whilst an upgrade of your system
is designed to leave /home alone. If you have to re-install because it
is so badly broken, the installer will not preserve your /home unless
it is in a seperate partition. It is for each to decide.

Regards,

Phill.

I am a great believer in the separate Home partition as it saved my
marriage! I shall explain:-

My wife is currently studying at Durham university, and uses our main
laptop for her course work. A few weeks ago I was struggling to get Wine
working properly; I had not used the software since I had upgraded the
laptop from 10.04 to 12.04 and it would not work properly. I therefore
decided to 'purge' Wine and reinstall. I googled for the correct CLI
command but I either found an incorrect command or typed it in
incorrectly as it removed a lot more than just the Wine application. I
now had a completely broken laptop with my wife's work stuck on it. I
had no alternative to do a full reinstall of Ubuntu. A hour later I had
a fully working laptop again with all data intact. My wife was content
to only give me the 'Don't Do It Again' lecture.

PS. I have now learned my lesson. UbuntuOne is configured to synchronise
her work with our spare laptop, and I have dusted off my old backup
drive as well.

Regards,

Barry T