Hello Paul,

250GB is the capacity of your HDD
You do have an External HDD
2GB RAM
And your partitions are a bit of a mess :D

Well, this is what I would do if I were you:

1- BACKUP each and every important file to my external HDD
2- IF and ONLY IF you want to get rid of the whole thing and start from
scratch then:

a- Boot your machine from LiveCD or LiveUSB (I prefer LiveUSB - much faster
than LiveCD)
b- Run GParted
c- http://i44.tinypic.com/2whfaxw.jpg -
d- Apply: http://i40.tinypic.com/11qsumc.jpg
e- http://i43.tinypic.com/s4behe.jpg

OR

f- http://i43.tinypic.com/bhlzsk.jpg but if you have many partitions, you
need to repeat that :)

3- You do need IMHO at least 3 partitions and at most 4 :)

a- Root ( / )
b- /home
c- SWAP (no need for 8GB SWAP if you have 2GB RAM - in your case, it is
recommend to have SWAP = RAM so 2GB SWAP is fine ;) )

BUT usually, with more than 100GB of HDD, the above scheme looks a bit
funny so I would suggest

a- Root ( / )
b- /home
c- SWAP
d- Data Partition (no mount point needed - just ext4 or anything but as
long as you are not dual-booting with Windows, then use a Linux File System
like ext4)

The Data Partition can be 100GB for example or 150GB and the rest for the
system.

OR, of course, you can keep some un-allocated space for a future use.
Usually, that will be on the Extended Partition :)

Whenever you want to Dual-Boot or Multi-Boot, you need to understand that:

/home Partitions should not be shared - IMHO
SWAP partition can be shared - IMHO and this is what I do

I had this once:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/580909_412870952099284_184613381_n.jpg

and this:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/525696_415553451831034_1357280194_n.jpg

and this:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482307_481553801897665_460432170_n.jpg

Just to give you an idea with some examples :)
In fact, in my case, I always have so many partitions specially on my test
machines but of course less on my main machine which I didn't use for two
or three days now because I'm busy with testing :D

If you have any Q, please ask :)

I guess I need to write a new guide/HOWTO for this and it will be helpful.

I know Jose will love it when he will read this :P

Thanks!

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Paul Sutton <zl...@zleap.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I need to re-install Lubuntu cleanly,  my current system is dual boot
> with linpus,   which is never used,   the rest of the system was ubuntu
> which via apt-get install lubuntu-dekstop now runs that hence i may have
> previosuly referred to this as hybrid.
>
> http://zleap.net/reinstall-of-lubuntu/
>
> as you can see from the disk utility the file system is a MESS
>
> is the best way to go about reinstalling simply to wipe the whole hard
> disk and start over
>
> in which case 250 gb hard disk
>
> split as
>
> /boot / 1 GB
> /home 90 GB  (approx)
> / 149 GB (approx)
> /swap about 4 - 8 gb (2gb ram)
>

> Currently using just over 50gb for /home (this WILL be backed up)
>
> Where does steam install games to ? the main file system or in
> /home/user this will determine how much I allocate to /home or /
>
> the only person using this system is ME and there is an external HDD
>
> Paul
>

> --
>

> --
> http://www.zleap.net
> skype : psutton111
> http://www.linkedin.com/pub/paul-sutton/36/595/911
>
> http://www.raspberrypi.org
> http://www.ubuntu.com
>
> I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable
> groups and expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share
> this commitment.
>

> --

*Best Regards,
amjjawad*