On 2013-05-14 08:33, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> On 05/13/2013 11:13 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>
>> Do you know if there is a tool to make off-line manuals from the wiki
>> pages (or from the moinmoin source code)?
>>
>> Or the other way around?
>>
>> I'm asking because I'm maintaining 'Lubuntu-fake-PAE' and need both the
>> wiki pages and some kind of off-line manuals for it.
>
> If you are comfortable doing a little PHP scripting, there is
>
>   http://pear.php.net/package/Text_Wiki/
>
> which is a library of PHP code to do this sort of stuff that includes
> LaTeX output, which would be good for printed manual type output (run it
> through your local LaTeX setup to generate a .dvi, use dvi2pdf to get a
> PDF, for example).
>
> I don't see any really easy "just run it and it works" solutions.
>
> You can go the other way easily, and use anything that can generate HTML
> output (from your own hand coded HTML, to groff, to LibreOffice), and
> then embed that HTML into a wiki page, but the resulting pages will not
> look much like the other pages of the Lubuntu wiki if you do that!
>
> If I had to do this, and needed a single set of source texts, I'd
> probably try to get that PEAR Text_Wiki module to work.
>
> Jonathan

Thanks for your advice!

I was afraid, that there are no really easy "just run it and it works"
solutions.

I have to think about it before I start learning new tools.

A quick and dirty method is to use a web browser and 'print' each wiki
page to a pdf file. The links will not be preserved (not even their
high-lighting colour), but at least the high-lighting can be fixed with
xournal. I found that chromium-browser was slightly better rendering the
full page width in portrait format, but Firefox should be possible to
configure for it. And it is possible to use landscape format, which fits
better for reading from a screen.

Do you know of a tool to convert a web page to a pdf document without
page breaks, or to edit a pdf file to remove those page breaks?

Nio