2013/6/16 Jonathan Marsden <jmars...@fastmail.fm>

> On 06/15/2013 10:40 PM, Iberê Fernandes wrote:
>
> > This desktop has been turned off for 2 years ...
>
> > Although it has 1GB RAM, lubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso  crashes when on
> > slideshow. ...
>
> > Any ideas what else should I do to install Lubuntu on this AMD desktop?
>
> Sounds like a hardware issue to me.  I would carefully blow out all the
> dust that collected in those 2 years, and then boot from CD and run
> memtest for several hours (maybe 24 hours) to check for intermittent RAM
> issues.  I would also look carefully at all capacitors on the
> motherboard to see if any have expanded or "blown" (got a hole in them),
> which can happen to older motherboards, some electrolytic capacitors
> used in that era were not always high quality and can dry out and then
> stop doing their job, making the machine unstable.  If the board has the
> capacitor issue, it is basically impractical to repair it.
>
> If you think the issue is with the installer and not with the hardware,
> you could put it on the Internet (behind a firewall router) and then
> update it (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade), reboot, and try
> upgrading from 10.04 to 12.04 with
>
>   sudo do-release-upgrade
>
> and see if that works.  If it does, you could then do the same thing
> again to get from there to 12.10 if you want to run 12.10.
>
> Jonathan

I'd like to thank you everybody that replied to help.

The beauty of Linux is that together we learn a lot from each other.

Hardware has been cleaned and Ubuntu 10.04 is installed again. Somehow I
did not manage to install neither Lubuntu 12.04 nor Lubuntu 12.10.

All ISOs and all burned CDs were double checked with:
md5sum -c md5sum.txt | grep -v "SUCESSO"

(SUCESSO means success because I'm running Lubuntu in portuguese from a
laptop).

Thank you for Leszek Lesner for prompting that booting from USB should be
possible from every computer that has a
usb connection. I did not know that.

Next weekend I'll connect that desktop in a firewalled router in order to
clean that Ubuntu installation and transform into Lubuntu 12.04.

Cheers,
Iberê