in line answers...

2013/6/17 Ali Linx (amjjawad) <amjja...@gmail.com>

> Hello,
>

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Iberê Fernandes <
> ibere.fernan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hardware has been cleaned and Ubuntu 10.04 is installed again.
>>

> Obviously, that lead me to a guess that it is a Kernel Issue or could be a
> driver issue.
> Ubuntu 10.04 Kernel does support some old hardware. Later one, starting
> from 10.10, some support had been dropped, that is exactly why we keep
> Lubuntu 10.04 available for people to install, or to be more accurate (I
> just checked our Wiki
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/PreviousReleases and
> moergaes<https://launchpad.net/~moergaes> has
> removed that part about Lubuntu 10.04 or maybe someone else did). Anyway,
> we kept Lubuntu 10.04 on our area for all that time for that reason.
>
> I am NOT asking or telling to keep an old version, I'm just guessing that
> could be the issue :)

Next weekend I'll try Lubuntu 10.04 on that desktop.

>> Somehow I did not manage to install neither Lubuntu 12.04 nor Lubuntu
>> 12.10.
>>

> 1GB RAM is WAY TOO MUCH and NO WAY the installer will fail due to the RAM.
> Unless, something is seriously wrong.
>

> As Jonathan suggested, have you checked the RAM?
>
> When booting the machine, can you go to "Try Lubuntu without installation"
> and see the Live Desktop?
>
> Menu > System > Task Manager
> What does it say? 1024MB RAM?

Task Man says 1024MB both from Live Desktop and installed Ubuntu 10.04.

> Just out of curiosity, have you considered to try Saucy?

At first I wanted to install one of the production Lubuntus. But I can try
Saucy too next weekend.

> With old HDD, I have an approach, it helped me each and every time I do
> it. Using GParted, I wipe the whole HDD by creating new Partition Table.
>
> What is the Size of your HDD?
> Few times, I had to use 'dd' but these are rare cases when I had to do it.
>
> IMHO, I do NOT think it is a memory issue that crashed the installer.
>
> Sometimes, the fix is really easy that we don't even see or notice. I'm
> interested a lot to get this machine up and running.
>
> From LiveCD, what does:
>
> sudo lshw -C display
>
> show?
>
> Have you tried 12.04 and 13.04?
>
> I do hope you won't give up and try more :)
> I'm very interested in this so keep me updated, please!

Don't worry. I did not give up.  But only on weekends I'll have time to
start testing again.

I'm very interested in spreading Lubuntu in Brazil, specially for those
with old/low specs hardware that think Lubuntu cannot be powerful and
beautiful compared to Ubuntu.

You'll hear from this desktop in a few days again. ;-) Thank you!