If you install hplip then this is the hp printing system, it a gui
tool to look at printer status, ink levels etc

I have a wireless HP envy,  to set that up i type something like
hp-setup 192.168.0.x (ip of printer) and it runs a wizard to help you
set it up for that client.

I think generally the printer should get a static IP address so it is
on the same part of the network

if it helps I have mint 17.3  but the above worked on xubuntu fine.

a list of hp related packages are below (sorry for the long list here)

hplip-data - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - data files
hplip-dbg - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - debugging information
hplip-doc - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - documentation
libsane-hpaio - HP SANE backend for multi-function peripherals
printer-driver-hpcups - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - CUPS Raster
driver (hpcups)
printer-driver-pxljr - printer driver for HP Color LaserJet 35xx/36xx
hplip - HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)
libhpmud-dev - HP Multi-Point Transport Driver (hpmud) development
libraries
libhpmud0 - HP Multi-Point Transport Driver (hpmud) run-time libraries
openprinting-ppds - OpenPrinting printer support - PostScript PPD files
printer-driver-hpijs - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - printer driver
(hpijs)
hpijs-ppds - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - HPIJS PPD files
hplip-gui - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - GUI utilities (Qt-based)

It is a good idea to install the GUI package

maybe an idea to also do a google search for hplip and <printer model>
and Lubuntu or a combination to see if there is any specific notes out
there.

Paul

On 21/10/16 09:15, Marlon Ng wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2016 1:19 AM, "Dennis Castanos"
> <denniscasta...@gmail.com <mailto:denniscasta...@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>>
>> I bought a new HP LaserJetPrinter M402n. I am completely lost on
>> how
> to hook up wireless printing. USB works great. I have a ethernet
> cable from the printer to the Netgear router, but the printer is
> not showing up in Lubuntu.
>>
>> I'm not a geek, but appreciate the simplicity of lubuntu. No
>> windows
> 10 for me.
>>
>> Dennis

>> <mailto:Lubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com> Modify settings or
>> unsubscribe at:
>>
> I'm no expert but I think there seems to be a problem with 16.04
> with regards to printers or printing. First of all,  several weeks
> ago  some folks confirmed my observation that CUPS is not included
> in the lubuntu live cd. Secondly, even after installing cups, it
> cannot detect a network printer. Tried this in three desktop
> computers so I'm quite certain.  (The printer is connected via
> cable to a windows computer, and this windows computer is connected
> to wifi. Another computer, a lubuntu system, is connected to the
> same wifi. It used to be that the lubuntu computer can detect the
> printer thru wifi. That was 14.04. But now with 16.04,  it cannot.)
> I hope this get fixed.

- --
http://www.zleap.net
diaspora : zl...@joindiaspora.com