Again my apologies to Terry who was patient and confident despite my misunderstanding.

I saw a change earlier today (on lucene-dev) with the QueryParser syntax updated with more details on the range query format. I think the ambiguity of saying a "date field" is still there though, since the Field.Keyword construct supports Date natively now as well as homegrown YYYYMMDD String fields.

My question now is: what benefit is the Field.Keyword(String,Date) if its easier to deal with dates in YYYYMMDD format?

Its nice that QueryParser can deal with that type of field using the SHORT DateFormat - so I can see a slight advantage when QueryParser is involved to representing dates as Date's rather than String's, but the range query constraints of the open-ended begin or end dates negate that benefit it seems.

I'm just trying to understand in more detail the finer points of Lucene so that I can make more effective use of its features as well as help educate others on it.

Erik