From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ulrich Mayring
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 3:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: commercial websites powered by Lucene?

Chris Miller wrote:
> Thanks for your commments Ulrich. I just posted a message asking if
> anyone had attempted this approach! Sounds like you have, and it works

> :-)  Thanks for information, this sounds pretty close to what my
> preferred approach would be.

This is a good approach if the number of total documents doesn't grow
too much. There's obviously a limit to full index runs at some point.

> You say you get 2000 docs/minute. I've done some benchmarking and
> managed to get our data indexing at ~1000/minute on an Athlon 1800+
> (and most of that speed was acheived by bumping the
> IndexWriter.mergeFactor up to 100 or so). Our data is coming from a
> database table, each record contains about 40 fields, and I'm indexing

> 8 of those fields (an ID, 4 number fields, 3 text fields including one

> that has ~2k text). Does this sound reasonable to you, or do you have
> any tips that might improve that performance?

You need to find out where you lose most of the time:

a) in data access (like your database could be too slow, in my case I am

scanning the local filesystem)
b) in parsing (probably not an issue when reading from a DB, but in my
case it is, I have HTML files)
c) in indexing

I haven't gone to the trouble to find that out for my app, because it is

fast enough the way it is.

However, what I wonder: if you have your data in a database anyway, why
not use the database's indexing features? It seems like Lucene is an
additional layer on top of your data, which you don't really need.

cheers,

Ulrich