I think this is a great idea, and one that I've been mulling over to
implement keyword lookups (similar to Flickr.com's tag system).  I
believe the advantage over a relational database comes from Lucene's
inverted index, which is highly optimized for this kind of lookup.

My concern is that this just shifts the scaling issue to Lucene, and I
haven't found much info on how to scale Lucene vertically.