You can see Flickr-like tag (lookup) system at my Simpy site (
http://www.simpy.com ).  It uses Lucene as the backend for lookups, but
still uses a RDBMS as the primary storage.

I find it that keeping the RDBMS and Lucene indices is a bit of a pain
and error prone, so _thin_ storage layer with simple requirements will
be okay with just using Lucene, while applications with more complex
domain models will quickly run into limitation (using the wrong tool
for the job type of problem).

Otis