Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

The most obvious answer is that the full-text indexing features of
RDBMS's are not as good (as fast) as Lucene. MySQL, PostgreSQL,
Oracle, MS SQL Server etc. all have full-text indexing/searching
features, but I always hear people complaining about the speed.

Yeah, but in theory, in the ideal world :), it should't be any slower - there's no magic Lucene has that DB's don't. And the big advantage of it being embedded in the DB is the index can always be up to date, just as if you had Lucene updating the index based on a trigger. You don't need any separate cron job to periodically update the index.

But this brings up - has anyone run Lucene off a database trigger or are triggers known to be slow and bad for this use?

person from a well-known online bookseller told me recently that Lucene
was about 10x faster that MySQL for full-text searching, and I am
currently helping someone get away from MySQL and into Lucene for
performance reasons.

Otis

--- "Steven J. Owens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

    I was rambling to some friends about an idea to build a
cache-aware JDBC driver wrapper, to make it easier to keep a lucene
index of a database up to date.

    They asked me a question that I have to take seriously, which is
that most RDBMSes provide some built-in fulltext searching -
postgres,
mysql, even oracle - why not use that instead of adding another layer
of caching?

    I have to take this question seriously, especially since it
reminds me a lot of what Doug has often said to folks contemplating
doing similar things (caching query results, etc) with Lucene.

    Has anybody done some serious investigation into this, and could
summarize the pros and cons?

--
Steven J. Owens
[EMAIL PROTECTED]