Dear Bill and Benjamin,

The Wikipedia link to that nice roller-headed theorbo implies that it is by Jan van den Hoecke but I understand from the museum website that he only painted the little figure of Cupid while the instruments and still-life stuff was painted by Paul de Vos.

http://bilddatenbank.khm.at/viewArtefact?id=2095

In answer to Benjamin's query, there are plenty of theorbos with short necks but they all appear to have been cut down. Even the 8 fret Harz archlute probably started life with a longer neck. Since there ARE such cut down theorbos, evidently the player who asked for it thought it a worthwhile idea so it's up to you to decide what you you want and order accordingly.

For instance the nice Matteo Sellas in Rome [P.V.8182] looks to have been converted to a French theorbo style with a very short neck having about 5.5 frets! And the famous Buechenberg in Paris with the additional little bass side rose has 7.8 fret spaces on a a string length of 715mm. Pp. 24-5 in the catalogue of the museum.

Best wishes,

David