   From:"David Van Edwards" <da...@vanedwards.co.uk>
   Date:Wed, 11 Mar, 2015 at 20:48
   Subject:[LUTE-BUILDER] Re: Tied frets
   Dear Bill and Benjamin,
   The Wikipedia link to that nice roller-headed theorbo implies that it
   is by Jan van den Hoecke but I understand from the museum website
   that he only painted the little figure of Cupid while the instruments
   and still-life stuff was painted by Paul de Vos.
   [2]http://bilddatenbank.khm.at/viewArtefact?id 95
   In answer to Benjamin's query, there are plenty of theorbos with
   short necks but they all appear to have been cut down. Even the 8
   fret Harz archlute probably started life with a longer neck. Since
   there ARE such cut down theorbos, evidently the player who asked for
   it thought it a worthwhile idea so it's up to you to decide what you
   you want and order accordingly.
   For instance the nice Matteo Sellas in Rome [P.V.8182] looks to have
   been converted to a French theorbo style with a very short neck
   having about 5.5 frets! And the famous Buechenberg in Paris with the
   additional little bass side rose has 7.8 fret spaces on a a string
   length of 715mm. Pp. 24-5 in the catalogue of the museum.
   Best wishes,
   David
   At 11:15 +0000 11/3/15, William Samson wrote:
   >    Could be why theorboes were sometimes built this way - saving the
   >    length of the upper pegbox:

   [1][3]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Jan_van_den_Ho
   eck

   <[6]lute-builder@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   <[1][4][7]luthi...@gmail.com>
   >      wrote:
   >      Dear collected wisdom,
   >      I'm rather wondering what the minimum number of frets is for
   >      historical lute instruments, notably for theorbo(s). I am
   considering
   >      having an instrument shortened for travel purposes, and this may
   >      involve reducing the stopped string length; I know of many large
   >      theorboes with only 8 tied frets, but are there any with only 7?
   >      With best wishes,
   >      Benjamin
   >      --
   >      [2]www.luthiste.com