----- Original Message -----
From: Stefan Ecke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 24 October 2003 08:56
Subject: cleaning the lute soundboard

> Dear list members,
>
> I know that some people clean the sound boards of their lutes,
> especially where the little finger touches it. What methods
> can be recommended? I once met a person who used
> a substance originally intended for violins to clean his
> sound boards. It is sold (at least in Germany) under
> the trade name "Viol", but I hesitate to apply this stuff
> to a lute sound board.
>
> Greetings,
> Stefan

Dear Stefan,

I don't recommend trying to clean a lute soundboard - my philosophy is you just accept
that as an instrument ages it acquires a bit of dirt, a few scratches, etc.  Also
spruce soundboards can be very white when new, but after a few years they go quite
brown, then the dirt is less noticeable.

Anyway, the dirty mark shows you've been practising!

Best wishes,

Martin