This question leads me to a question that I intended to ask in a few days
about finishing the "lute" (I use quotes as most of you don't agree that the
flat back can be called a lute) that I'm making. On the various other
stringed instruments I've made I've used several different finishes. Clear
Tung oil with an overlay of Poly, a mix of Poly and Tung oil, a stain with a
Poly overcoat. I have read this thread in its entirety, and noted the egg
whites homemade varnish. Not all new developments are bad. One does want to
seal the wood a bit, but one also wants to give it a bit of moisture. I like
a "wipe on" finish, it can be applied better than a brushed on or sprayed
finish.

I just found a Minwax wipe-on Poly, and I'm going to test it on some scrap -
both with an undercoat of pure Tung oil and as a solo finish. On my harps
and psalteries I've found that feeding the wood with pure Tung oil, and
coating the outside surfaces with a hard coat (several different Poly
formulations) works well, and I leave the internals open to allow them to
react to the environment, and so far the differential between the surfaces
hasn't caused a problem.

Can any one tell me the difference in the nature of a varnish, a shellac, or
a modern Poly? I've worked with wood for a long time but yet don't know
which is what. In my opinion a varnish is a combination finish, with
elements (such as that egg white, or my Tung oil) that feed the wood - and a
hardener that makes a protective surface. And a shellac is just a surface
hardener and protective coat. Given that I think a combination of the modern
Poly with an oil of choice adds up to a varnish, whether applied separately
or as an amalgam. I believe in oiling wood and letting it breath, but an
instrument also needs a bit of protection from immediate change.

I hope I said that clearly, if I didn't please try to read the intent. I am
more interested in making this "lute" have a sound character than having it
as a "thing of beauty". Suggestions are welcome. The soundboard is Sitka
Spruce, often used for harps where the string tension is a direct pull and
the board will "belly". The sides and back are Aspen, with a Walnut veneer
for appearance. Those I can finish any way I want as the oil won't get
through the veneer. And I do know not to put a hard finish on the
fingerboard, I've made other fingerboard instruments.

Finally, as to the wear point on the sound board, I've got that on the
mountain dulcimer. And I've had finger wear on a number of guitars. Unless
it starts to get deep into the wood you aren't affecting the sound. I would
use the "spit" solution to clean it, then wipe on a bit of hard finish to
protect it. As someone said, wear shows the instrument is being used, and
that is what instruments are for. Try to keep the nail on that right little
finger short so that your natural oils and skin make a small amount of wear
rather than having the surface worn by the hard nail.

Best, Jon