On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:56:14 +0200 Stefan Ecke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Dear list members,
>
> I know that some people clean the sound boards of their lutes,
> especially where the little finger touches it. What methods
> can be recommended?

<snip>

> Greetings,
> Stefan

Stefan:

This is very much an individual question. The amount and nature of the
dirt a soundboard collects is related to your own personal body chemistry
and hand-washing habits (as Bob Clair pointed out), but also to the type
of finish (or lack thereof) on the soundboard.  Thus the cleaning
methodology will depend on these variables as well.

When I purchased my first lute from Matthias Durvie (which has, as far as
I know, no finish at all on the soundboard), he recommended cleaning it
with a soft white pencil eraser without any abrasive content.  It works
very well for that instrument, though I can never attain a completely
pristine appearance.

My other instruments, with varnished soundboards, really do not show any
significant soiling.

An instrument with a varnished soundboard may survive cleaning with an
aqueous medium (e.g. saliva) very nicely, whereas on an unfinished
soundboard the water may raise the grain and cause the wood to pick up
dirt much faster the next time.

Regards,

Daniel Heiman

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!