In a message dated 10/24/03 7:56:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> As Ken Be has pointed out a number of times, the solvent of choice among
> museum conservators (at least for a first try) is saliva.

Yes, this is actually true.  As a paintings conservator, I can testify that I
have "spit" cleaned many an old master pictures, and some modern ones
including a Matisse this way.  Any application of moisture of any type, though,
should be applied sparingly to a wood surface such as a lute belly and can also mar
some finishes.  Always test in a microscopic area on the edge first!

- Kenneth Be
Cleveland, Ohio