At 12:32 AM 12/3/2003 -0600, Michael Thames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>where did I " publicly declare that " I
>intend to
>rip him off " Those are you words.

They are indeed. Considering your proposal, a rip-off operation is actually
a mild and forgiving expletive.

>At no time did I say I would post the
>facsimiles regardless of Albert's wishes, and quite frankly I won't, based
>not so much on legality, but to respect his wishes.

You still do not seem to understand that Albert's wishes in this point are
entirely besides the point. Many of us, scholars, publishers, performers,
teachers, who have had occasion in the past to request permission from
libraries, always had to accept a condition imposed by the library that the
material will be used specifically for the purpose for which it was
obtained, and under no circumstances one could make copies for other
people, without the library's permission and agreement. This is not a legal
condition, but a practical one. Those who defy the library's wishes, shoot
themselves in the foot as they will surely black listed for any future
material. Besides, each time this happens, the fee for bona fide
researchers goes up. years ago I used to get copies from the British
Library for a couple of shillings a page. Now the fee is 25 GBP per page.

Albert cannot possibly give you permission to do what you want to do, since
this would be a violation of his agreement with the library. Neither can
Frank Koonce give you permission to copy _his_ facsimile of the same
manuscript. The only person who can give you such permission is the
librarian. What's so difficult about writing a letter and asking for it?

>  In the end I don't want
>to piss off anymore human beings,than I have to, except you!   I asked some
>alarming questions again out of my naivety which you seem to enjoy pointing
>out.

Your questions were not alarming. They were plain stupid because they
implied scavenging the work of someone else. Let me give you a taste of
what this sounds like:

Would you mind if I bought from you a set of plans for the Venere lute and
posted it on my web site for free download by indigenous poor lute makers
world wide?

>     Also, concerning young guitars students,  I have noticed that hardly any
>of them play baroque or ren music these, it's mostly modern.

Thank you for stating the obvious. I have been in this business for 48
years by now and I am acutely aware of this. But this is not the forum to
discuss this issue. I suggest you log on to rec.music.classical.guitar and
check out their archives (on Google Groups) for the last ten years, and see
how many times I, and many others, have discussed this issue.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226