At 12:24 PM 12/3/2003 -0600, Herbert Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Matanya Ophee wrote:
> > ... always had to accept a condition imposed by the library that the
> > material will be used specifically for the purpose for which it was
> > obtained,
>
>What is the library's motivation for this?  I would have thought that a
>non-profit library would be happy to promote the spread of non-copyright
>material.

I would have thought so too, but in the real world, there are two forces at
work. Some librarians think that just because they own the keys to the
library, they own culture. You run into types like this every so often. But
the real motivation is that no matter what country, no matter what
political systems, libraries are under funded and they need to generate
income so they can pay  the overhead. That's the case with public libraries
such as the BL, BN, LoC, etc. In the case of privately endowed libraries,
the motivation is even stronger. That's the Golden Rule: He who owns the
Gold, makes the Rules. The gold in our case are the manuscripts and old
editions we seek.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.