> As I was deleting another repetitive pain in the ass flame post in the ongoing
> battle between the
> greedy billionaire lute publishers and the brave Trotskyist proletariat
> struggling to free the
> world's tablature I think I noticed an estimate of about 4000 lute players
> worldwide. Is this a
> reasonable estimate?
No. I estimated a maximum of 3000.

> Would these range from serious players to people with a
> lute in the attic they
> haven't touched in 15 years? Include guitarists who tune their g string down a
> half step? Include the
> pipa and oud? Those people with a Lute Olsen signed basketball?
No. It is based on membership lists of lute societies and Google sightings
of unaffiliated players, with an added roach assumption that there is 1 more
invisible lutenist to 2 already visibles. Also numbers of lute teachers and
luthiers are taken into account.
The number is expected to grow because several schools put out lutenists at
a steady rate.
RT

Roman M. Turovsky
http://turovsky.org