In a message dated 12/13/03 7:39:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Yes, these versions of names are interesting.
> For ex.
> Monteverdi's name was written Monteverde,
> Kapsbergers name Kapsperger.
>
> I have sometimes written "Kapsperger" as he himself saw his name
> written on his books. Normally someone complaints of my error...

In my recent concert at Yale from the Osborn Bray lutebook in that library
collection I peformed the two fantasias in it by Francesco di Milano and
reproduced the original spelling from the manuscript in the printed program, spelled
differently each time:

A fancye of ffrancys myllayne

A fantazia frauncis de myllayne

- Kenneth