From: G.R. Crona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: Names of composers (Was: Vihuela)

Dear Arthur,

when reading the postings of this thread, it suddenly struck me: Luís de
Milán... Luigi da Milano. Was he actually an Italian? Or did he get his
epithet from having spent part of his life in Milano? In those days,
surnames often indicated provenance. His music was quite italianate and his
book "El cortesano", (1561) was apparently based on Castiglione so he
probably spoke Italian. I gather, that not much of his earlier life is
known, so hypothetically he could have been an expatriate Italian, seeking
his fortune in Spain. Also his unique (and in my view superior) use of
Neapolitan TAB.

Funny how threads on this list suddenly trigger a new question!

Best Regards

Göran