At 15:24 20-12-2003 -0800, Howard Posner wrote:
>Edward Martin at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Paul O'Dette performs it on
>> the small instrument.
>
>He recorded it that way years ago, but I don't know that he'd do it that way
>now.  In the 80's years ago it was pretty much accepted wisdom that Vivaldi
>was writing for a soprano lute (I think because the available editions
>didn't show the lute on the basso continuo part); I don't think anyone
>seriously thinks so now.  I believe there's a discussion of the issue in the
>notes to Jakob Lindberg's Vivaldi recording.
>
>HP

In the 80's I played my 6-course A-lute for the D-major concert - well,
bits of it, arranged for a theatre production.
It seemed to fit quite nicely, better than on a G-lute.
I think Vivaldi wrote this specially for his nobleman friend, who could
have found and old A-lute in the attic.

Just my theory.

Chordially,

Arne.