At 21:48 22-12-2003 +0100, you wrote:

thanks for your email.

I don't really understand what you mean.

I think if you want a small lute tuned in A at Vivaldi's time it has to
be an archlute or liuto attiorbato. Of course the lute works dedicated to
Count Wtrby could have been played in the d minor german lute but never
with a plectrum.

There is no evidence of the use of the plectrum on baroque instruments (
mandoline , never the lute) until around 1770. besides Vivaldi write that
the lute player should play the continuo(in the D minor concerto with
viola d'amore) when he is not playing the solo part, that also needs
harmony, at least in the slow movements. If you do not use an archlute
the violins, cello and violone must use a sordina.

best wishes

davide

All right, I try again, then.

I am not too familiar with Vivaldi's instructions, only vaguely remember
that at least one of them -

the D-major one - was written for a noble amateur friend.

What we did on stage back then, was just making the best of a bad job.

The play, "Il Campiello", is by Goldoni.

Dramatically something of a catastrophe: No story, no plot, a lot of
posturing, running around,

and saucy dialogue - a 1700s' "sit-com", if you will.

Surprisingly, the production went down rather well, due to lavish
scenography, good actors, and -

Vivaldi. The music was aptly chosen, since Vivaldi was a personal friend
of Goldoni. Vivaldi even

saved Goldoni from getting arrested by the cops, at some point, as I
remember.

As for the lutes, there was no way the 13-course could project the melody
line as well as the small

ren-lute in A, in a theatre with velvet, sound-absorbing seats.

Thus the 13-course had to do bass duty - there was no viol, or cello,
available - but could only be heard when

hit with a good plectrum.

Most un-HIP, I confess - but what were we to do?

Anyway, our personas were those of 3 drunken Venetian carnival revellers,
and as such an unorthodox selection

of instruments could surely be accepted in a stage context.

I would just like to make the point, that although there were many
different lute types in vogue at Vivaldi's

time, it should not be ruled out that Vivaldi could have taken it into
his head to write for an otherwise

obsolete instrument, like a ren. A-lute, if prompted to it by chance.

All the best,

Arne.