It looks pretty realistic to me.

> The pistagne looks as if it was a whool twisted strand: I can't imagine
> the
> way you would realise this in wood.

My guitarron (Mexican bass guitar) has a very similar border made from
alternating pieces of different colored wood.

> Certainly the rosette looks rather odd - but this may be  something to do
> with the state of the painting.

Can't tell from the online image. Looks like the rosette might be a
picture rather than an abstract design, but that's certainly believable.

> What I have always thought is rather strange is the way she is holding the
> instrument- especially the position of the left hand.  It is almost as if
> she was using the thumb to stop the lower courses.

I've seen an awful lot of modern untrained guitar players hold their left
hands just like that - it's a natural comfortable position. Also common
with thinner necked instruments like a violin - or a 4-course guitar.

>The right hand looks
> as
> if she is playing "thumb inside" which is not a very convenient position
> for
> strumming chords.

Looks like thumb-in to me. With her little finger anchored to the sound
board, I doubt she's strumming. I've heard a lot about renaissance guitar
players strumming, but all the written music I've seen was obviously
intended to be plucked like a lute.

--
Rough-edged songs from a dark place in the soul:
http://DoctorOakroot.com