Dear David,

You are right to say that you could change the pitch of the
tablature (i.e. use different sizes of lute). That would work as
well as changing the pitch of the voice. Something has to change, so
it could be either voice or lute. The trouble is, it is more
tempting to think that the lute needs changing, because tablature
doesn't specify pitch as staff notation does. In the past people saw
the staff notation as sacred.

One song which confirms that the singer needs to transpose comes in
Robert Dowland's _A Musicall Banquet_ (London, 1610). There may be
more songs, I can't remember. The cantus is in D minor with one flat
in the key signature. If the lute is a lute in G, the tablature is
in C minor. Which is correct? Answer: the lute, because there is
also a separate bass part with lots of flats in the key signature
for C minor. In other words, the two parts in staff notation do not
match. Now, if it is convenient for the cantus singer to have a
transposing part, why doesn't the bass singer have a transposing
part too? The reason, I think, is because the bass part (which has
words) may be sung or played on a bass viol. A viol player would not
thank you for a transposing part, so the bass stays in C minor. The
bass singer just has to get on with all the flats. Anyway, my point
is that the apparent bitonality of the two parts in staff notation
confirms that it is the cantus which needs to be transposed.

The rubric for the lutenist to give the singer his first note is
just a way of sorting out what pitch the singer is to sing in
relation to the lute. It doesn't matter whether this is a high pitch
(little lute) or low pitch (big lute). They just need to know how to
match up their separate parts.

I'm sorry to be so predictable on the "we've discussed it before".
Part of me says, "Don't say that", because it may be seen as a
put-down to people new to the List. I never mean it like that. If we
have discussed something before, it's unfair on those who read it to
keep being sent the same information, yet I don't want people who
missed it first time round to miss out altogether. I reason with
myself that if someone really wants to follow it up, they can dig it
out of the archives. By the way, if you can't find your way round
the archives, I'm happy to send you a copy off-list, as long as I
can find it. It's usually easy to find old threads if they have
sensible titles; it's virtually impossible to find them if the title
doesn't give a clue to the content of the thread. I can usually find
the old threads which I contributed to myself, because I can list
all
the messages according to Sender, and all mine are then together.
Then I flick through my messages (which I can usually remember
pretty well), and that leads me on to what other people wrote. The
trouble is, I've sent in so many messages now, there's a lot to wade
through.

It's gone 9.30 pm. Time to go to the pub.

All the best,

Stewart.