Arthur, and list,

Update on shape-note. I've emailed the convention and they gave me a web
site (http://mysite.verizon.net/gssh). A bit more than three quarters of the
way down the home page are two sample songs you can play to hear their sound
(and there is a lot of info on the Sacred Harp - which, as I suggested, has
nothing to do with harps).

I warn you, don't play the music if your taste is narrow. They have but one
volume, shouting. But if you listen carefully you'll hear some musical
values of an old form. The harmonies aren't complex, but they do move within
the parts. It ain't subtle, but it's full of enthusiasm. I intend to go, if
I can get up that early. It should be fun, as it is a totally undisciplined
group. I've heard Sacred Harp singing by "pro's" (selected groups, although
not professional), but I rather enjoyed listening to these people. Nothing
is held back, it is an Ode to Joy in a real sense - the joy of the singers,
not the audience (particularly as they sing into a circle rather than out to
an audience). It is the participatory sound of the Southern churches, but
originating in Colonial times.

Best, Jon