Quite right.  I am sure if Billings could have secured trained singers,
he would have welcomed them with open arms. With Sacred Harp, the Music
and The Event are  very different things.  The music is just what the
printed page says it is, and you may do with it what you will.  However
a Singing is an event which is a vital and energetic expression of folk
culture.... and yes, programmers and nuclear engineers are folk too.

A small fraction of Billings' output found it's way into the Sacred
Harp, notably Africa and a couple of  anthems "I am the Rose of Sharon"
and "An Anthem for Easter ".  BTW "Sacred Harp" means different things
to different folks.  An early Schism led to two completely separate
publications of that name, now known as the Denson (Red Book) and
Cooper(Blue Book) revisions, which are now significantly different.

Incidently, the Scale degree names used would have been home territory
for Dowland and his peers. The major scale : Fa-Sol-La-Fa-Sol-La-Mi is
achieved by switching from one hexachord to another in mid scale.
Morley's Plaine and Easie Introduction, if memory serves, has an
explanation which is a shining example of unclarity.

--
// Marcus Merrin PhD.