On Monday, May 3, 2004, at 07:33 AM, Arthur Ness (boston) wrote:

> Yes, Jon, this is music for "that old-time religion."  I expect the
> practitioners today constitute a cult following, like those drum and
> bugle
> corps who choreograph all their march steps, or the Barbershop Quartet
> Society.

The singing is the exact opposite to the micro-managed,
microscopically-tweaked sound of barbershop singing.  The best
shape-note singing is loud almost to the point of pain, raucous and
completely undisciplined.  Control freaks have no power whatsoever at a
shape-note sing!

There are some "walking songs," and those who know the traditions
underlying that hold a certain amount of sway over what goes on
sometimes, but generally the group sits in a square with sopranos
facing basses, and tenors facing altos.  The tenor part gets the tune.

It's fun stuff!!

David Rastall