Dear Ed,

Seeing as you ask, I use an old Korg MT-1200 set to Vallotti. As I
understand it, Vallotti is the same as sixth comma meantone as far
as the white notes (on the piano) are concerned, so the two
temperaments amount to the same thing.

When I have tuned with the box (by listening to the note, not using
the needle), I play a few chords to make sure everything sounds OK.
I always include these two chords in my check:

_c___d__
_e___d__
_f___f__
_e___f__
_c___f__
_____d__

What you say about adding or subtracting two cents from equal
temperament is quite true. I would add that you add or subtract more
and more cents, the further you go round the circle of fifths:

Gb Db  Ab  Eb  Bb  F  C  G  D  A  E  B  F#  C#  G#

So, if you tune A to 440, you add or subtract the following cents
for sixth comma meantone:

Gb(+18) Db(+16)  Ab(+14)  Eb(+12)  Bb(+10)  F(+8)  C(+6)  G(+4)
D(+2)  A  E(-2)  B(-4)  F#(-6)  C#(-8)  G#(-10) etc.

For anyone unfamiliar with the circle of fifths, it is the order you
add sharps or flats to the key signature to make scales:

C - no sharps or flats
G - one sharp (F#)
D - two sharps (F#, C#)
A - three sharps (F#, C#, G#) etc.

or going the other way

F - one flat (Bb)
Bb - two flats (Bb, Eb)
Eb - three flats (Bb, Eb, Ab), etc.

When you go round the circle of fifths with equal temperament, you
get back to where you start, because F# is the same as Gb, C# is the
same as Db, etc. This is why you can talk about "going round the
clock", because there are only twelve different notes. With meantone
temperaments, these pairs of notes are nowhere near the same - F# is
24 cents lower than Gb - about a quarter of a semitone, so the ends
of the circle never meet up.

Best wishes,

Stewart.