>> My view is that it is most likely a guitar

guitars have shallow bodies, by definition, or so I'm told. Whatsoever
this is, it is not a guitar.

>> (or rather late 19thC german lute/guitar) conversion direct from a
lute.

wandervogel lutes (if that is what you meant to say) have single
strings, not courses (i.e. double strings)

>> There are numerous examples of 18thC Colachons/mandoras (see Gill et
als)

indeed. Why so much guesswork if the probable is so obvious.

> I would have thought so, if not for the pegbox, which is rather elegant, and
> entirely uncharacteristic of the Wandervogels.

yes, indeed.

--
Regards,

Mathias