From: Martyn Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mar 16, 2005 1:05 AM
To: Mathias Rösel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Lute Net <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: Re: Hoffmann Mandora/Gallichon

Thank you for your comments Mathias, but:

- are you not aware that guitars were made in lute shape in the 19thC (and in
other shapes as well for that matter - eg lyre guitar).

- defining a guitar as a 'shallow bodied' instrument is surely asking for
trouble - probably better to relate to musical practice - ie lute-guitars and
similar played music written for ordinary guitars.  Even well into the last
century it was possible to buy sheet music asking for 'laute' or 'gitarre'.  I
have before me an original edition (c 1930) of   'Leonardo de Call/Notturno
Op89/fur Flote(Geige), Bratsche and Gitarre(Laute)'   published by Chr
Friedrich Vieweg
/BerlinLichterfelds.  Interestingly, the cover has two figures playing Lauten
(not Gitarren).

I therefore stick to my opinion that this is probably a guitar conversion. You
may, of course, hold an entirely  different view but perhaps it would be useful
to support it with evidence rather than unsubstantiated comment.

regards,

Martyn

"Mathias Rösel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> My view is that it is most likely a guitar

guitars have shallow bodies, by definition, or so I'm told. Whatsoever
this is, it is not a guitar.

>> (or rather late 19thC german lute/guitar) conversion direct from a
lute.

wandervogel lutes (if that is what you meant to say) have single
strings, not courses (i.e. double strings)

>> There are numerous examples of 18thC Colachons/mandoras (see Gill et
als)

indeed. Why so much guesswork if the probable is so obvious.

> I would have thought so, if not for the pegbox, which is rather elegant, and
> entirely uncharacteristic of the Wandervogels.

yes, indeed.

--
Regards,

Mathias