>David:

>The only accurate source I know of is Robert >Lundberg's book:  Historical
>Lute Construction.  There are a number of historical >belly brace
>configurations in the book derived from having examined >perhaps a thousand
>existent Lutes.  I am sure there are other sources as well >but this one is
>more accessible to someone without access to the >museums of Europe, or
some
>obscure research paper floating around out there.

   Lance mentions Lundberg examining  a 1000 existent lutes, (wow! ) I don't
know the exact amount of surviving lutes, but I would put that number closer
to 300, out of 300 lutes Lundberg has examined.... he has seen the bracing
of maybe 15,  I would say, and none of those appears to be swan necks.
    Actually Lundberg doesn't deal with this topic, other than to say, that
he tried using symmetrical bracing once, but could get those, weird, vague,
and obscure overtones he famously speaks about, in the chapter on
thickneesing the top,  with the J bar bracing, and seemed to dismiss to
issue.
   David, the only place to find this late German swan neck bracing is on
plans made by various People, like Klaus Martius who drew both the Schelle
therobo, and the Widhalm, both showing symmetrical fan bracing. Also, the
plans by Gerhard Sohone, of the swan neck Tielke, show this, as well as
Gunter Mark, of the Schelle MI46 show this symmetrical bracing, and last but
not least on my website under museum photos there is a photo Juri Chepalak
sent me showing this bracing on the Brunner.
   These are just the ones we have opened up and looked inside.  also to add
to this is the arching of the bridge, and the soundboard that Klaus Martius
observed in the Widhalm, and I observed in the Yale Jauch, seem to be late
developments as well.

Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com