Stephan,
you are reading too much into it. The lute stage-right has frets fanning
out, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be temperamentally justified.
I wouldn't trust Montagna's "lute design" too much, as he was too fine a
designer, and knew very well that beauty is in deviation from the ideal.
RT
Roman M. Turovsky
http://polyhymnion.org/swv