Hi Tim,

my teacher advised her students to buy 10-course lutes. The reason is that you
can play nearly every piece written in "vielle ton" on it.
It's practical.
In the meantime I have learned that earlier music doesn't sound right on a
larger instrument but I still think a 10-course is a good choice. But a
8-course would do also (this was my first lute) because there are
surprisingly few pieces which cannot be played on an 8-course. There are even
pieces which do not work on a 10-course but well on a smaller lute (example:
Dowland's Farewell-Fantasia in the setting of Mylius)

Best wishes
Thomas

Am Sonntag, 3. April 2005 03:35 schrieb Tim Beasley:
> Thanks all for a lot of great advice.  It's greatly appreciated.
>
> I've (obviously) been doing a bit of reading.  One luthier's webpage I ran
> across pointed out that 6-course Renaissance music doesn't suffer horribly
> on 7/8-course lutes, but that one should never even think of playing music
> intended for 6-course lute on a 10-course instrument.
>
> My question is:  Why not?    (Assuming the first six courses are tuned
> appropriately.)  And would it be any different if I "accidentally" didn't
> bother to string the lower courses?
>
> I can see how it may not be desirable to go the other way--play X-course
> music on 6-course instruments.  But since my having multiple lutes is not a
> possibility in the near, intermediate, and probably even long-term future,
> I'm trying to find a compromise that'll maximize the music I could play,
> without doing undue violence to the musical text itself.
>
> (Allow a me brief note on why lutes aren't popular in this day and
> age.  Instruments are expensive and fragile.  Repertoire is in a fairly
> unfamiliar idiom.  I was originally put off guitar by the (relative
> non-)complexity of having to choose 650 mm or 640 mm scale length,
> cedar/spruce top, "country" vs. classical, and choice of back/side
> wood.  There's no decent lute tutor that I can find.  The instrument
> doesn't receive airplay or have superstars prancing on stage--hunk, punk,
> or babe, variously.  And, as Segovia is reported to have said, We live in a
> noisy age.)
>
> Tim B.

Thomas Schall
Niederhofheimer Weg 3