When I was a total newbie, I read the same item on Martin Shepherd's web site
where he says to not
even bother to play 6 course music on a 10 course lute. My first "real" lute
was a 10 course
loaner and I approached the early 6 course repertoire with trepidation. Of
course, it is all
playable, with the following caveats, in order of importance from most to least
(to me that is):

1) 10 course lutes often have a longer string length making some of the LH
stretches found in Milano and Capirola almost impossible for me

2) String spacing is usually tighter on a 10 course, making the beloved
Eb major chord (with the first finger holding down first fret on courses 2 and
3 below an
open 1st course) impossible for me without cheating

3) It's a lot of extra tuning of unused bass courses that will sound bad
in sympathy if not tuned

4) There are some cool effects, especially when accompanying a singer, with
the 6 course octave tuning

I did eventually buy my own 10 course to complement my main 8 course lute,
because I enjoy
Vallet's music so much and his sequential bass runs just don't do it for me
putting the notes
up an octave.