> course for frets 7 to 10.  Our best estimate of likely string diameters
> therefore suggests a maximum of about .80mm, .64mm, .50mm, and .42mm for
> fret diameters, perhaps even thinner for the "first course" diameter
> because D was talking about a double first course.  Has anyone tried
> using a .40mm fret?  Even allowing for the fact that he was using double

On my theorbo I go from 1.25 (b) to 0.50 (i) at the moment. Not ideal,
perhaps, but still quite playable.
It was decent, from 1.00 (b) to 0.90 (i),  but I have lowered the string
tension considerably and put on rather thick Pistoys at 6, 7 and 8 (all on
the fingerboard). One thing let to another. But recently I've noticed the
risk of buzzing has diminished (change of technique, I can put the strings
higher at the bridge after all (I've even had an extra piece of wood there
for a while), and I think the instrument is settling).

David