-----Original Message-----
 From: Roman Turovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
 Sent: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:24:32 -0400
 Subject: Re: Byrd

 From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED] AKA Michael Thames> scripsit:

 > Dear Mr. McCoy,
 > If MT is incorrect in saying Byrd wrote no lute music.
 There IS lute music by Byrd, even if Byrd was not responsible for it
 himself, inasmuch as there is lute music by C.P.E.Bach, F.I.Tuma,
  G.C.Wagenseil, Bulyowsky, Telemann, Schubert, Max Reger and MANY
others,
  just because some valentuomini have used their intelligence to make
lute
 music out of theirs.

 > Is Doug
 > Smith incorrect as well?
 Nobody is always correct. Doug Smith included, big time.
 RT

 Mr. Trovosky, first of all, I don't get the spell check joke.

  Of course there is lute music by Bryd, that lutenists have intabulated
a no brainer. Couch's assumption that a key board player would find a
note for note transcription of lute music interesting is a long shot.
Actually this angle by Couch would suggest Byrd transcribed or arranged
lute music for Keyboard, the exact other way around.
  Byrd originally conceived his music ON the keyboard, he wrote for the
keyboard, he wrote in staff notation. Don't forget Ness's original
words " Byrd wrote lute music in grand staff". If Byrd arranged his
music specifically for the lute for lutenists to play it would have
come down to us in Tablature and NOT grand staff. There is no proof
that Byrd specified and designated anything for the lute in particular.
Other than Mr.Ness's personal take on it, there is no proof. We have on
one hand two opposite opinions Mr . Smith, who states Byrd wrote no
lute music, and Mr. Ness who says he did, two well respected
musicologists, saying the exact opposite of each other.

 Regards'
 John Haskins

Get your own free AIM(R) Mail account and become eligible to win daily
prizes, ending July 30, 2005. One lucky grand prize winner will even
drive away with a 2005 MINI(R) Cooper S.
http://cdn.channel.aol.com/aimmail/aim_mail.html?mail_footer