> > Transliteration (not mentioned in this thread), the rewriting of words
> into a different language using exact definitions or lettering. Not always
> an accurate reflection of meaning.
> Wrong. Transliteration is rewriting of words into a different alphabet,
> essentially the same thing as transcription, KAK NAPRIMER VOT ETO (in
> transliterated Russian).

Mea Culpa, that is what I meant. I should have said alphabet rather than
language. But I beg to differ that it is the same as transcription. There
are languages that can transliterated letter for letter, but still don't
correspond letter for letter with the sounds of the target language. I know
you don't think much of Celtic civiliation (and in fact have the impression
that you think the pairing of those words is an oxymoron). I don't have the
font on my computer to type the Celtic letters, but there are various rules
of pronounciation (particularly paired consonants) that aren't clear when
transliterated. The easiest examples are in proper name (as that way we
don't get into the language itself). In the Celtic the character for "b" is
pronounced as such, and the character for "h" is also (when hard, and
beginning a word). The Tranliteration from the Celtic "font" for the name of
the actress "Siobhan Mckenna" is just that - with the "bh", but the
pronounciation of that pair is "v" (sort of). So she spells her name in
"transliteration", but not as a "transcription". The transcription would be
"Shivahn". (Yes, the "s" sound varies with the following letter "Sean" is
pronounced "Shawn". (Annd my own last name, Murphy, some has been cross
tranlitered and transcribed - in some way I can't figure yet from the
alphabets - from "Mercou" to "Murphy").

> > I'll not be told by the late Stanley Sadie how I should use words, and I
> > doubt that he would have disagreed.

> Sadie was an excellent writer, and you
> might learn a few things from him.

I agree, and that was an unfortunately worded comment. The intent was not to
deny Sadie but to emphasize that he might have been the first to acknowledge
that not all definitions that are generally correct are perfect in all
situations. In any dictionary one must address the audience and maintain
brevity (which I haven't done here). Not all nuances can be addressed.

I have been working for weeks on defining Force, and other things, for some
things I'm writing. Easy, F=ma, but how do I define it in terms the general
player can understand without offending the physicists. Technical
definition: That which pushes, pulls, compresses, distends or distorts in
any way; that which cahnges the state of rest or state of motion of a body.

Get into the formulae for string calculations and you get into force as
tension force, and some include the "force of gravity" - which seems
irrelevant. Yet we mesure tension force in terms of pounds, kilos and
Newtons. Each involves an acceleration component. No sweat, they cancel
outin the math when we include the opposing force.

My problem is to be complete without being windy for the book I'm working
on. Sadie's problem with the musical dictionary was to be as complete as he
could for the purpose of his dictionary (and the audience).

My comment, that seemed to denigrate Sadie's work, was ill advised. But note
that I said he wouldn't have disagreed with the idea that not all
definitions (including his) are complete.

JWM