> "Originality" has not always been held in such high
> regard, particularly during the time that the lute was
> so very much a part of mainstream western music,
> The cult of originality is really an invention
> of the Romantics, taking Beethoven as their model.
> Music became a means for individualized personal expression,
> using a distinctively personal musical style..
Arthur, we finally have somethinf to disagree on. Originality as an ideal
certainly predated Romanticism by at least 100 years (and a lot more than
that in arts other than music), and was unequivocally practiced by JSB's
children and students. Romanticism simply abolished other modi operandi.
RT

==
http://polyhymnion.org

Signup at www.doteasy.com