Charles,

This raises the interesting question as to what is an arrangement. My harp
ensemble is preparing for a Christmas perfomance (among other things, but
this is a "pay for our supper" performance for the Church that allows us to
use their parish house for our practice).

One piece we intend to play is Noel Nouvolet (The March of the Three Kings),
a carol from Provence of about the 18th C, and also a march piece used by
many classical composers as a component. I have an arrangement (copyright)
for the double strung harp - the ensemble has an arrangement from another
source for single course harps. My arrangement (written by a friend of mine,
so the question is moot as she would give me permission) starts the piece in
A minor, then modulates the piece, and the other arrangement starts at the
key of the modulation and goes on rather boringly. The JSHE (Jersey Shore
Harp Ensemble) is comfortable with the boring one.

If I, as I will do, transcribe (yeah, transcribe) the 2X harp arrangement
into three harp parts, one hand each (the limitations of my ensemble). Then
set the modulation of the 2X piece (and the second hand of the 2X harp as a
line for one group), and take the bass line of the other arrangement (with
the glissandos my fellow harpist love, and I hate), then top that with the
variations from my friend's 2X version, then close with a "walk off" of the
A minor - - will I have "made an arrangement"?  The variations, the
modulation, and the 2nd harp part would all be from Beth's 2X arrangement,
but the base structure would be from the traditional (and I think copyright,
but I can't find my sheet music at the moment) arrangement.

There will be original (to me) interplay between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd harps,
as well as the use of the sound of each arrangement - both of which are
written for single harps.

I'm not really seeking an answer, and I certainly have no intention of
seeking copyright. Just seeking thoughts on what is an "original
arrangement". The lute, with the base piece and divisions is a prime
example. We all know that adding a few divisions to a theme doesn't a
copyright make, but where is the line. A matter that comes up less with the
lute than with some other arrangements due to the lute's long history and
the form of play.

Best, Jon