Right on Gary,

And that is why we have dynamics. I leave yours below intentionally, then
comment.

> Dear Stewart;
>
>      Regarding the situation you described of two viols playing:
>
> ____________
> __a__c__d___
> ____________
> ____________
> ____________
> ____________
>
> and
>
> ____________
> __d__c__a___
> ____________
> ____________
> ____________-
> ____________
>
> it occurs to me that unless the timbres of the two viols are very
different the listener may indeed hear the passage as

> ____________
> __d__c__d___
> __f______f___
> ____________
> ____________
> ____________
>
> as per the lute intabulation.

You are quite right Gary, and I run into this ofen on the double strung harp
where I am playing both left and right hand in the same octave. Sometimes I
don't know here the melody is. But only if I'm not playing the notes
according to the key signature, or am not making the melody dynamics clear.
The same applies to the lute. beginner as I am. As to the viols, each should
know where the line runs, even if the instruments are perfectly matched. The
players should make the distinction with their bows, or else let it just be
a sequence of notes rather than a piece of music.

Best, Jon