I recall talking to Julian Bream after a concert 25 years ago, and I asked
what brand of strings he uses.  He replied, "I use fishing line".

Actually, Toyohiko Satoh was the first tot use carbon strings in or around
1986.  They were brought to his attention, in that it came on spools & it
was a form of fishing line, made in Japan.  I think the brand name was Seaguar.

ed

At 10:30 AM 10/28/2005 -0500, Herbert Ward wrote:
> > It should be noted that the momofiliment for nylon strings is
> > not being made exclusively for instrument strings. The price
> > of nylon strings is kept down because the great volume of this
> > stuff is being produced for industrial purposes.
>
>I've tried fishing line before.  Very bad as a lute string:
>thuddy tone and untrue.  If you use it in an emergency, don't
>expect much.
>

>To get on or off this list see list information at
>http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812