Dear Lute List,

A long-time reader though infrequent contributor to this list, I was on the
verge of posting a related topic when Katherine initiated the thread on lute
straps, a thread that I have followed with great interest.

Primarily from using a computer keyboard and mouse, I had developed under my
right shoulder blade a "knot" that felt like a knife stabbing me in the
back. The problem seemed to be exacerbated by reaching around the lute,
which is a rather deep-bodied instrument. From my shoulder the pain seemed
to radiate all the way down my arm, inflaming the ulnar nerve and my wrist,
and numbing the ring and little finger of my right hand.

I made several adjustments to my computer equipment (raising the monitor,
switching the mouse to my left hand, etc.) and underwent chiropractic
treatment, acupuncture, massage, and medication therapy (muscle relaxers and
pain pills). Yet, the problem was still so bad that I worried that I would
have to give up the lute.

Originally, I held the lute more or less in the classical guitar style,
i.e., on my left thigh and using a footstool. Once my physical problems
developed, I tried using a strap in the "traditional" manner, i.e., tying it
to the first peg, wrapping it around my shoulder, and tucking it in under my
right thigh, on which I now rested the body of the lute. Doing so helped but
did not really solve the problem. In desperation I drove to the nearest
"luthier" (a maker of violins, violas, and cellos, but not of lutes), who
was two and a half hours away, and had him put two strap buttons on my
instrument, since I was afraid of doing so myself and cracking my
instrument. I have since used both a regular, guitar-style strap, attached
to the first peg and the clasp button, and the "slider-strap" recently
mentioned on this list and attached to the clasp button and another button
just below the neck. Doing so seems to have improved my tone since I am able
to hold the lute higher, so that my forearm is more closely parallel to the
strings, and has also alleviated the pain somewhat. At this point, however,
I am merely managing the pain but have not been relieved of it.

I would like to ask whether any other members of the lute list have
experienced similar physical problems and, if so, how they solved them. I
would be very appreciative of any help anyone could give me.

Thank you in advance,

Stephen Arndt