On May 4, 2006, at 5:03 PM, Howard Posner wrote:

> The pictures show that painters' models held lutes that way.  I'm not
> sure what they tell us about actual players.

Absolutely.  They were posing with the lute as a prop.  In order to
be "doing something," some of them would be portrayed tuning the
instrument, or appearing to sing.  I'm sure that very few, if any, of
those paintings were intended as didactic visual aids to posture and
"correct" luteplaying.

On the other hand, there are some features that many of the paintings
have in common e.g. the height and angle of the lute in the 16th
century paintings, and the right-hand position in the 17th-century
ones.  Perhaps we can take those similarities as evidence of actual
performance practice.  Who knows?

(Personally, I reckon they did just as we do today:  they did what
worked for them and what produced the best music.  I've always
believed that if you want to get the historical lute "experience,"
pick up your historical lute and play it.)

David R

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com