This is a very important discussion.  First and foremost, thank you,
Stewart, from Burwell's quote.

One's posture and demeanor are an important part of the performance, no
doubt.  In terms of memorization, when I do it, I do it "from ear", rather
than "by eye".  In other words, I can imagine the voices and melodies, and
sounds, not the tablature.  The ability to play a piece from memory is
achieved through understanding the music through repetition, and
"remembering" the music, not the notes.

Playing from memory.... is it not the reason that a performance is referred
to as a recital?

ed

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street