Reading the various comments sparked by Sting's recording has been both
   enlightening and entertaining.  I have to say that I am mostly in sympathy
   with Gary Digman's rational words.

   The     lute    seems    to mean    something    entirely different to
   different individuals.  For many here in the US, it appears to have a huge
   'Renaissance Fair' appeal, complete with the costumes and comedy.  There are
   also  many  afficianados who are completely absorbed in the historical
   mystique of the lute and its music and would rather not have their reverie
   interrupted  by  a  real person actually playing the lute.   For many,
   experiencing the lute means listening again and again to their favorite
   recordings,  unaware that a lute recording is always always always the
   product of manufactured perfection.  When I first asked Paul O'Dette about
   his approach to recording, he indicated that he plays very differently when
   in front of an engineer's microphone, and never has the first chord of a
   recorded piece come from the same 'take' as the last chord.

   Our lutesong duo, Mignarda, released a CD of air de cour earlier this year
   and we made a conscious effort to break the mold of the typical sound we
   have all come to expect in lutesong CDs.  We decided that the usual Early
   Music audience was going to seek out the usual suspects and we had neither
   the budget nor the driving interest to attempt to gain their attention.
   Instead, we intentionally attempted to appeal to the same audience who may
   listen to Dead Can Dance, or Loreena McKennitt.  We felt that here was an
   opportunity to convert other listeners to authentic 17th century music
   merely by not being academic and boring.  It seems to have worked.  The
   amusing thing is that mainstream classical radio station WCLV, normally
   the source of 19th century symphonies and live broadcasts of the Cleveland
   Orchestra, selected our CD as a 'Choice CD of the Month' a few months ago.
   Go figure.

   I agree with Mark that the music is all about the emotional content of the
   piece and it is our job to convey that.  I have no question that David can
   convincingly play a Campion piece on guitar, since he is obviously deeply
   involved in the aesthetics of the music.  Gary is right to point out that it
   shouldn't matter whether one is playing Dowland or Coltrane, as long as the
   meaning of the music is understood and conveyed.  The absolute best feedback
   we ever had after a performance of Dowland's 'Go nightly cares' was from a
   woman  who  was  not  a  typical  Early  Music fan.  She approached us
   afterward and  said  that she was  so  completely absorbed in the dark
   emotion of the song that she became very concerned for Donna and wanted to
   give her the phone number of a therapist.  I think that means we 'sold' the
   song.

   By the way, I am organizing a lute playing day for November 11th, to be held
   in Brattleboro, VT.  If anyone is interested, please write me for more
   information.

   Ron Andrico & Donna Stewart
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   [2]http://www.mignarda.com